Re: On the cost of libraries

> So is it fair to say we can blame most startup time problems on pure
> "sucking the code off the disk"?

Nope

> This does match Nautilus observations, where it takes ages to launch
> the first time, but if you restart it after you've just been using it
> (it is swapped in), it starts almost instantly.

Nautilus spends most of its time on an Athlon550 running bonobo-ui code
when starting up to an empty directory view. The link overhead is visible
(0.2 seconds or so) but fixing bonobo-ui would be a much bigger win.

There is a disk cost - mostly from paging being fair randomly ordered and
there groping the code would help because linear page load is about 25Mbytes
per second while random on a modern ide disk is closer to 3 or 4 and can be
worse.

Alan