Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule - agression.

On 10 Oct 2001, Iain wrote:
> And if we're releasing gnome 2.0, but it's not going to be any better
> (user wise) than gnome 1.4 (and lets be honest, it's not)

        It think this is a myth. It will be better, there are loads of new
features in Gtk+ that will make it seem prettier and snappier. The look
certainly changes - you can 'see' it's Gnome 2.0 :-)

        It also seems pretty inevitable to me that people will add new
featurelets / fix things as they port their code. There are also misc.
little new features like Jacob's new file selector that will make eyes pop
out and mouths water - in due course.

> and then releasing gnome 2.0.1 (or even 2.2) a few months later, then
> why not delay the gnome 2.0 release by a month?

        Delaying the release is not feasible / a good plan. Time to market
is impossible; in fact you say:

> Polish is useless if no-one is using it.

        which is very true - we need to get the stuff out, preferably now,
but optionaly by Christmas and delay is not an option.

        Even BTW. if it means hard decisions like "ok, we'll look silly by
not having derivable interfaces until 2.2" or whatever. In fact, I think
the harder the decisions to cut features we make now, the more incentive
we have to ensure that we get 2.2 out soon.

	Beware advocates of fast release cycles that want everything
perfect for this release :-)

        Regards,

                Michael.