Re: gettext usage in libraries

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Ulrich presumably means either a) all users should use a UTF-8 locale
> or b) all apps should use locale encoding, not UTF-8. Though I've
> failed to read his mind in the past.

And you fail again.  Nobody here seems to understand what the gettext
code does.  Unless the environment is broken (which isn't normally the
case anymore and if it is can be fixed in the support code) the
functions know what conversion to make.  Explicitly setting the
charset is unnecessary at best and most of the time a big nuisance.
The translator must have the choice as to which charset to use (there
are still some languages which cannot be represented in Unicode) and
the user must be able to run the application in whatever locale is
best.  The gettext functions handle every situation just fine without
bind_textdomain_codeset calls.