Re: Panel Status - GNOME 2.0

On 17Nov2001 04:02PM (+0000), Bill Haneman wrote:
> Sander Vesik wrote:
>

> > The prority of having a p[anel is far more higher than having an
> > accessible panel, so all accessability work on panel should be postponed
> > unril after such time as we have a working panel and people can work on
> > aplets (panel is blocking work on them).
>
> I disagree with Sander here, at least the "far more" part.  If we don't
> address accessibility in the panel *now*, it won't get addressed, and
> without an accessible panel then Gnome-2 accessibility is basically a
> lie from the end-user perspective.  Though we can add accessibility to
> most apps and non-core toolkits later, we need for that accessibility
> which will be coming on line in the Gnome2 timeframe to work *with the
> gnome2 platform*.

While I think making the panel accessible for GNOME 2.0 is important,
I agree with Sander that the panel should be brought to basic working
order before a lot of accessibility work goes on.

The reasons for this are twofold. First, lack of a functional panel is
blocking work on other parts of GNOME that we need to ship, such as
the applet. Second, lack of a functional panel would definitely be a
reason to hold the release, while lack of full accessibility support
in the panel may or may not be.

I can imagine shipping without a fully accessible panel if the
alternative is major delay, but not shipping without a fully working
panel.

Remember, there is always 2.0.1 to tie up loose ends.

I encourage panel hackers to get the basic panel functionality up and
running as soon as possible.

Regards,

Maciej