Announcing GOK, Virtual Keyboard for Gnome

Hello Folks:

I'm delighted to announce, in cooperation with the Gnome Accessibility
Project, the inception of what to my knowledge is one of the first
assistive technologies for the Gnome 2 platform [*], and the first
LGPL-licensed onscreen-keyboard for linux, Solaris, and other
Gnome-ready operating systems.  It will also be the link that bridges
the Gnome Accessibility Project's work from 'infrastructure' to 'end
user' for many users with mobility disorders, and as such will be one of
the first customers for the Gnome Accessibility Project interfaces
libraries.

The project's working title is GOK (Gnome Onscreen Keyboard), and the
GOK team proposes to add this project to Gnome CVS.  (gnome-hackers list
members, please let us know if this is not agreeable.)

The initial project web page can be found at:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/AT/GOK/index.html

I will leave it to the team to introduce themselves and the project
further...

Best regards,

Bill

[*] by this I mean software AT which interacts directly with the Gnome2
platform; accessX is already fully interoperable with Gnome.

[I would also like to acknowledge the previous work of Paolo Molaro in
self-voicing for GTK+ (gspeech) and basic screen magnification (gmag) in
Gnome 1.X.]

------
Bill Haneman x19279
Gnome Accessibility / Batik SVG Toolkit