Re: FW: Nautilus and Setup Tools

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:53:18PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> This is a _perfect_ example of why GNOME can't be the OS. GNOME
> may have the best font system in the world, but unless the user
> sees consistent font installation across:
>
>  - KDE
>  - Mozilla
>  - StarOffice
>  - "Native" GNOME apps
>
> Then the user will think "my desktop/GNOME has broken fonts".

That is a laudable goal.  Is there any chance of this happening ?
There appear to be alot of obstacles.  Frankly I'd prefer to see
a potentially gnome specific solution if it could be done within our
lifetimes.  A cardinal rule of development would seem to apply :

    It is easier to ask contrition than permission

Specify a decent mechanism and possibly it will be adopted
by other projects.