Re: National Website in Japan (pressing for an action)

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > One area where we can be glad that gnome.org is hosted in the US.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you but
>
> a) US free speech only covers a subset of things
> b) The owners can be subject to non US action
>
> news.gnome.org needs to either lose the comments or moderate them

If the moderation route is gonna be taken the moderation (IMO) should
follow a well known (read published easily available) set of
rules/guidelines. This will make the any potential moderator's life that
much easier. Also they should be defined _before_ moderation is
implemented. Something like the following 'common sense' guidelines:

1. On topic, ie if the article is about the lastest wizbang gnome widget
don't go ranting about some kernel bug.
2. No personal attacks, got a problem with developer/person/company <x>
take it up directly with developer/person/company <x> not here. This isn't
your personal soapbox in your crusade against developer/person/company
<x>.
3. By all means _discuss_ the project. Discussion don't involve
project/thing <x> sucks and no one should use it. If it sucks _why_ does
it suck? Debate is good, pointless flamming is bad.

Require validated accounts, even if you want to post anonymously. Yeah
this is annoying but its clear that the anonymous unvalidated posting gets
abused. (will also keep the moderation load lower).

Just some thoughts from one of the lurkers...

/me goes back to lurking.

Greg