Re: RFC: GNOME 2.0 Multimedia strategy

> SSL support is overkill: the big issue is some sort of authentication
> on the connection...  Whether you also need security is a second level
> issue, that depends on application.  But basic access control
> authentication/authorization is a necessity...

If you are talking about a local network then you might as well not bother
with access control if you are just authenticating per connection. It takes
me 60 seconds to sniff your connection. If you use a switched network it takes
me 90 seconds instead of 60 and the switch helps reduce the risk of an
admin detecting my activity or of accidental reset frames escaping from
the attack.

> If I want/need actual security, I can choose to run over ssh...

Try running ORBit over ssh one day. I never managed to get it to work. I'm not
saying ORBit should require SSL but it should certainly be the default that
SSL is required for remote access unless you add trusted hosts, and are very
careful they are on a network you trust each user of and firewalled

Alan