Re: libxml1 in gnome 1.4

Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> writes:

>  I was left with the only choice of providing both parsers in a libxml1
> release.

I think the idea of providing both parsers is great.

>     - changed the inititialization code to make the old 1.8.11 XML
>       parser being used by default, but allowing environment variables
>       LIBXML_USE_NEW_PARSER and LIBXML_USE_OLD_PARSER to override the
>       default value.

This sounds dangerous, I think we should leave it to the application
programmer what parser to use, not the user, but it dos not really
break compat so I don't object.

>    - I may need to add a way to call the old parser even if for apps which
>      switched to the new one in order to allow to load old config files

Yes, or in case not all libraries are updated to use the new code on
the same schedule.

>   I honnestly think that this solution may allow a release of a new
> libxml1 version even if done a posteriori after the final Gnome 1.4
> release. It may not be part of the 1.4 platform but it should be part
> of 1.4.1 and distributors should be allowed to ship it once it is
> clear taht there is no side effects on legacy apps.

That sounds like a good plan to me.

--
Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com>
whacky-ass code cowboy[sic]