Re: my worry about the recent libxml change

on 3/23/01 3:57 AM, Daniel Veillard at veillard redhat com wrote:

> I hope it can too. But if the final question left is:
> "Shoudl we prefer keeping the existing broken platform over
> adherance to standard and better I18N support"

My question is not that. My question is: "Should we fix this problem as part
of the 1.4 -> 2.0 transition as we originally planned, do it right now for
some kind of GNOME 1.X release as a follow-on to GNOME 1.4, or reset the
testing and development clock for GNOME 1.4 so we can redo and test the
affected code?"

I am excited about getting this all correct, with appropriate compatibility
machinery for the incorrect XML files on disk, for the GNOME 2.0 release.
The approach of using UTF-8 for all the text in memory sounds like the
perfect approach, and I'm sure we can find some way to make it read the old
files that claim to be XML, but actually don't comply with XML rules in this
respect.

On the other hand, I have no interest or willingness to deal with it as a
"fire drill" right now, just because you finally decided that it was
worthwhile to make a change to the old libxml at the last minute. If you can
find hackers willing to work through all the issues and do all the work in
the next few days, maybe you can make this happen in time to be relevant for
some GNOME 1.X release. Sounds unlikely to me, though.

    -- Darin