Re: libxml2 in gnome 1.4

ERDI Gergo <cactus cactus rulez org> writes:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, James Henstridge wrote:
>
> > So this 1.x version will cause problems for programs that don't handle
> > encodings correctly?  I am sure there is a fair number of libxml1 programs
> > that do something like this:
> >   grab text out of GtkEntry (or GtkText, or whatever)
> >   put text in xmlNode as content
> >   save XML file
> >   load XML file
> >   grab content of xmlNode
> >   put text in entry
> >
> > (which will work great for english, and quite often works for other
> > locales).
>
> This is exactly my use case -- could you tell me what I should do between
> steps 1 and 2, and 5 and 6?

Well, you have to call iconv() and also have configure.in hackery to
find libiconv if you need it, I would guess.

GLib 2.0 has functions g_locale_to_utf8() and g_locale_from_utf8(),
maybe someone can come up with a canonical standalone version of those
to be cut-and-pasted all over the place to deal with libxml.

Havoc