[jirka 5z com: Re: shlib appletification of tasklist]

This was supposed to be on hackers not personal mail.  DOH!

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not
On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:19:00AM -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> i did some thinking about it last night, and the problem is not really
> the shlibification but the fact that the session manager and panel are
> not robust enough to be able to cope with this.
>
> init handles things like getty and (if you run it directly from init
> like i used to do) gdm exiting on startup repeatedly.  our session
> manager does not.  sigh.

Init handles it just as crappily.  What would happen would be that the panel
would disappear.  Yaikes!  That's just as bad.  Especially if a newbie user
only knows how to do anything by pressing the foot.

The only way to handle it "properly" would be to figure out that it's the
tasklist that's crashing us and remove it from the config, but that's not
possible.  We could revert ALL of panel config, but that is utterly annoying
and still might not work (actually it would be unlikely it would).  Making
the applet exe is the ONLY way to deal with it somewhat sanely.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

--- End Message ---