Re: shlib appletification of tasklist

On 12 Mar 2001 20:22:13 -0800, George wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 06:26:25PM -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> > so i am saddened to see that the tasklist is back to being shlibified
> > without hearing any discussion on this topic here.
> >
> > so, could we please discuss it?
>
> I talked to Anders about it, and he agreed that the crashes were a problem
> that make the panel unusable.  Read previous posts for discussion of that.
> Since this is causing 1) panel bugs to be reported 2) panel not being usable
> by a whole bunch of people, it was a priority to do this before any 1.4
> release.  Thus the quick change.

i did some thinking about it last night, and the problem is not really
the shlibification but the fact that the session manager and panel are
not robust enough to be able to cope with this.

init handles things like getty and (if you run it directly from init
like i used to do) gdm exiting on startup repeatedly.  our session
manager does not.  sigh.

jacob
--
C-x i .signature