Pointing ftp.gnome.org somewhere (Re: master.gnome.org and FTP server restructurement)

On 08 March, 2001 - Martin Baulig sent me these 1.6K bytes:

> Hi guys,

Heya.

> when we disabled anonftp on ftp.gnome.org a while ago,
> everything which was not somewhere below /pub/GNOME/ has
> become unaccessible since our mirrors didn't pick this up.

After discussing the matter with ftp.gnome.org == master.gnome.org and
anonftp being disabled with Martin on irc, we came to the conclusion
that a possible solution is to point ftp.gnome.org at ftp.acc.umu.se
(which is ftp.se.debian.org right now too) in Umeå, Sweden.

Our machine is currently pushing out ~23GB/day
(http://www.acc.umu.se/technical/statistics/ftp/index.html.en) and
according to some logs sent by Martin, ftp.gnome.org took ~3GB/day, so
that shouldn't be a problem for us. Disk space isn't that much a problem
either, we are mirroring entire debian, debian-non-US, debian-iso
(official as well as unofficial sid & woody), CPAN and some more.

Our connection is 100MBit to the Swedish University Network which is
part of NorduNET which has pretty good connectivity. (7x155 to
Teleglobe, 2x155 to Ebone and 1x155 to Internet2.. or so)

I am syncing over the data right now so we can set it up as a mirror to
start with.

Thoughts? Ideas?

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric ing umu se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå