Re: 'make update-po' breaks multibyte .po file

Hello all,

KM> Den 02 Mar 2001 04:05:54 +0900, skrev Yukihiro Nakai:
>> Hello, I'm new to here.
>>
>> msgmerge in gettext-0.10.35 doesn't recognize multibyte,
>> so it breaks the multibyte chars when it rebreaks long lines.
>>
>> (AA, BB: multibyte chars)
>>
>> msgstr "...........AABBAABBAABB"
>>
>> will be
>>
>> msgstr ""
>> "..............AAB"
>> "BAABBAABB"
>>
>> And oops. Sometimes it may be unable to compile after msgmerge.
>>
>> So, I think we should someting like this:
>>
>> - Don't msgmerge. Especially, before the new release.
>> - Use a patch I append here. (But it is just for EUC-JP...)

KM> Is there any reason why this patch shouldn't be in gettext proper?
KM> You know you work for the same company that maintains it, right? ;-)

To be most important is not to break the multibyte strings
by using gettext which doesn't support it I think.

I mean I think we must do either one of the way which he
gave until gettext support the multibyte wordwrap.

Because msgmerge was executed, that po file that build fails
can't be used after all. That is thought neither of the
developer and the translator to be good you know.

Thanks,
--
Akira TAGOH