Re: GNOME usability test report now available

> The only advantage I can see to "regular expression" is that it's
> composed of actual English words - it's not easier to understand. In

"pattern" seems to be what is often used.

> would look goggle-eyed at a button labelled "Open with XEmacs" or
> "Open with vi". Unfortunately, that's the name of the program, that's

The name of a program isnt always ideal. Using a description from the
desktop data might be nicer

	"Open with Gnome Editor"

> Your suggestion is "Suspend (Halt - stops processor)". What it
> actually does is shutdown the machine, which is really none of those
> things. OK, it *does* stop the processor, but it stops everything else
> too.

Suspend is really bad because PC literates expect that to do an APM
suspend and a system shutdown is going to be a most unpleasant suprise

Halt is wrong too - on many non x86 systems it returns to the ROM
monitor..

> Equivalent functionality is in GDM in menus. Regular users probably
> shouldn't be shutting down machines anyway, so perhaps those options
> should be removed from the logout menu entirely.

Regular users often want to shut down their machine from the console without
being root. Since they have the off switch they might as well have a nice
friendly option too.

> 	"Oh God no, [this is] a bunch of stuff I probably don't want
> 	to know."

But the great thing about it is - this is what real users think. You can't
actually productively argue with reality 8(