Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

Kenny Graunke <kenny whitecape org> writes:

> Confusing, huh? Realistically, these are global settings. Changing a setting
> should change *all* of the terminals' settings. Otherwise it's very
> confusing - there is no indication of which terminal the preferences dialog
> is going to affect, and trying to explain all the interrelationships is too
> complicated. If it's hard to explain, it probably needs fixing. ;-)
>
> Perhaps people would like a way to change one terminal's settings - this could
> help with the delete options as well. Those aren't global settings; these are.
> Of course, you can use command line options for terminal-specific
> "configuration."

Well, I guess this problem will vanish with GNOME 2.0; with the old config
system in GNOME 1.x (gnome-config) it was impossible for an application to
get notifications when a property has changed.

This is different in GNOME 2.0 with bonobo-config - if you change a global
setting in any of your terminals, it'll immediately affect all your terminals
in that terminal class.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)