Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

> Furthermore, having a prefs setting for this is wrong; because I don't
> want to break all my local terminals, I just want to change it while I
> am logged in to the lame remote machine.

I work on boxes with both ^H religions at the same time. Not all of them allow
me to switch backspace and delete.

> it would be a menu item that feeds an stty command to the terminal,
> next to the current Reset menu item. It could be called "Fix delete
> key" or something. Then there is a single thing I can click, and it
> only has a temporary effect. Still somewhat confusing, but not as bad.

Doesn't work on LIBERTAS or VMS does it ? And christ knows what it would do
if you were in the middle of a trn session

> Though I would tend to simply ignore the issue - the failure mode when
> ssh'ing to sgi/hp or whatever is not severe IIRC, one of delete or
> backspace still works right. And long-term we can get hp and sgi to
> fix their stuff.

"Fix". Del v Backspace isnt standardised. The war in question has been bitterly
fought since 1950 or so with some compromises on both fronts finally damping it
down to a minor feud.

Alan