Re: security holes in gnome-vfs application list (was Call for

on 2/26/01 9:31 AM, Alan Cox at alan redhat com wrote:

> The programs that are started automatically by mime type bindings as shipped
> with nautilus should be

These programs in the MIME type bindings are not started automatically by
Nautilus. It's not like a mail program where the programs are run behind the
scenes, automatically, when you think you are just collecting mail. The
default ones are started when you open a document of a particular type, and
the others appear as Open buttons to the left when you are viewing a
document and in the Open With menu (and a few other places).

> So for example default bindings for gqview, abiword, etc probably make a lot
> of sense, but not a collect the set mentality - except maybe as items in a
> menu you can use to enable later

The database is freely visible in the gnome-vfs source tree (in
data/mime/gnome-vfs.applications). Please let me know if you have any
complaints about any of the programs that are in there. I can't speak to the
"mentality" of Aaron Brick and Seth Nickell (the two guys who did 99% of the
work on the list), but it looks reasonable to me.

    -- Darin