Re: translating [was Re: Intolerable CVS behaviour]

Ok.
I think we are getting somewhere with this thread !
great.

[ NOTE:
I've also had problems with translators before.
3 problems with the same translator for once.
I also REALLY apreciate all the translation action for the
projects that I am involved in, including the times where
a translator has fixed stupid mistakes I've made.]

good points from this thread, if you ask mua.

a) For one we do need a "Read this before asking for a
CVS account" document. Maybe just put a form in a webpage
where we have an official place for asking for a CVS
account.

Something in the lines of :
http://www.gnome.org/~chema/cvs_account.html

b)

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>         trans --get gnumeric es.po
>         vi
>         trans --submit gnumeric es.po

Now,
this is a good idea. This will *lower* the barrier for contributing
with translations to GNOME. It's been made clear the differece with
a translator and a more-than-just-a-translator contributions. Since we
can't open a full access cvs account to anybody that asks for it, we
had come up with an informal/unwritten filtering system for getting a
a cvs account. Yes, the current way of getting an account is to have
a maintainer to ask for it but for translations it is different.

- This does not affect the more-than-just-a-translator type of guy.
  He already has a cvs account and will continue to have one.
- A translator will not longer have to get ALL the code just to pull
  a po file.
- A translator will not have to learn basic cvs to contribute
- A translator will not be required to use a web interface (Which is
  a pain in the ass for some people, like me)

There might be translators out there that prefer to use the scripts
over a full access cvs account.

This has a couple of downsides,

- We need to extend the scripts to get & commit documentation.
- we need to find someone with spare time (Spare time ! ja ja ja ja. Yea right)
  to write/test/maintain the scripts.

regards,
Chema