Re: GConf and bonobo-conf

"John R. Sheets" wrote:

> With an older client, you'd still want to be able to get the R/G/B
> value, but if the client is newer, you'd like to be able to ask for
> the new 'name' field as well.  If the data types are serialized in a
> binary format (or whatever), you'll lose this robustness, and end up
> having to duplicate the Color data in a new key, e.g., Color2, or
> ColorWithName.
>
> > So what is the advantage of decomposition in that case? The upgrade
> > problem always exists.
>
> Right, but the difference is that one way you break older clients, and
> the other way you don't.  (c:

Hi John,

you have almost convinced me ;-) All you have to do now is to show
me some programs where the older version can read the configuration
of the newer version - I think this will never work - and this feature isn't
important at all. We want to provide a smooth upgrade path, and not a
downgrade possibility.

Please provide an example where this feature would be valuable.

- Dietmar