Re: GNOME 2.0 planning: A longer range roadmap

Jody Goldberg <jgoldberg home com> writes:
> In an ideal world the bonobo-ui specification and verb/layout split
> would be use in gnome-libs.  It was boring work to convert from
> UIInfo -> bonobo but it is not impossible.  Having 3 distict
> approaches for setting up menus & toolbars seems like 2 too many.
> This is a rather central API that has been kicked into shape for the
> bonobo freeze.  Now would seem like a good to to review it, fix
> anything people don't like and adopt it widely.

So, I'm guessing most of you won't care, but. Here is the GTK plan.

We are going to have a full-featured menu API in GTK. The conversation
about which version will contain it hasn't been had yet, but I
personally prioritize it pretty highly. It _may_ be in a bin/source
compat release that could be deployed before GNOME 3, but may not.

The basic arrangement IMHO should be similar to bonobo-ui, with a
separation between verbs and the items displaying them, and with menu
merge. So any widget will be able to do menu merge out of the box. We
will also have to rewrite GtkToolbar I'm guessing, and hack both menus
and toolbars to handle the case where they are "chopped off" now by a
too-small toplevel (a feature which sadly got punted from GTK 2).

It won't be compatible with bonobo-ui, because there were some large
objections to that API. We made a strenuous effort to get that API
synced with future GTK, but there was a lack of time on all sides to
make that happen. Though I tried. So, joy.

Havoc