Re: My vision of gnome-libs (was Re: GNOME 2.0 meeting summary)

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:
> > However, in the case of gnome-vfs it seems fairly sensible to me to
> > have a new vfs-widgets module that includes gnome-vfs-enhanced
> > versions of existing widgets, or entirely new ones, since it could be
> > a long term project. The ones in libgnomeui can be deprecated whenever
> > the new ones are ready to be part of the platform.
>
> Right. The question is exactly that, does "VFS support" mean rewriting
> everything, or just changing some readdir() to VFS calls? i.e. is "VFS
> support" a new feature or basically a bug fix?

A basic version of VFS support can be done by replacing all POSIX
filesystem calls with gnome-vfs calls.

The problem is you don't actually want to do this - you want to use
the async calls. I am not sure if this has API implications; I think
you can make it mostly transparent except for error reporting.

And I think Martin has actually done most of the work already. :-)

 - Maciej