Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> What? OpenOffice does not use GTK+? That sucks big time. To make that
> acceptable, we should get them to state clearly that they want to
> move. To be a GNOME application, a program should stand on the GNOME
> development platform, shouldn't it?

Depends. Maciej said there was not enough information at this point and
I tend to agree that that is the only thing one can say at the moment.

I never had luck with applications I wanted to write using GTK. Some of
them run into GTK limitations, some triggered window manager crashes and
some triggered kernel crashes (not because of GUI parts, though).

I'm not sure if GTK 1.2 is good enough for OpenOffice, because it's a huge
application and GTK 1.2 has certain limitations. OTOH, GTK 2 isn't
finished yet and it's probably not well documented, so (from my uninformed
point of view) it doesn't make much sense to start porting OO to GTK 2
now. And it doesn't make much sense to start using GTK 1.2, because by the
time the port is finished, GTK 1.2 should be deprecated.

On the third hand, OpenOffice developers would probably want it to
interoperate well with at least GNOME, KDE and CDE (not necessarily in
that order), so they have a lot of work to do. GTK integration might
not have a high priority at the moment and I find that understandable and
acceptable.

--
 .-.   .-.    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.