Re: My vision of gnome-libs (was Re: GNOME 2.0 meeting summary)

Hi

I haven't written a single line of code for gnome-libs, so my opinion
may not be too good, but as
a gnome-libs user for almost 3 years, I'll say my opinion in case it's
useful.

> b) Compatibility layer
> ----------------------
>
> To avoid too much breakage to existing applications, we should discuss whether
> we want to have some kind of compatibility layer which will allow GNOME 1.x
> applications to use the new gnome-libs with minimal changes.
>

> I think after GNOME 1.4, we should add some things to the stable
version of
> gnome-libs to ease migration to gnome-libs 2.x for application
developers:

one of the most important, IMO, compatibility layer that should be
provided is the gnome_config stuff,
which, AFAIK, is being used everywhere. GConf API and gnome_config are
almost identical, with few exceptions, and a mapping between them should
be very easy to do (in fact, I did this once for gnome-db when we were
supporting both gnome_config and GConf, and it was really easy to do).
New stuff in GConf, such as notifications, won't be a problem since this
is not used in gnome_config-based apps.

And this could remain for ever in gnome-libs, as it's more a wrapper
than a compatibility layer.

> f) GnomeSelector, Gnome-VFS integration or Martin's Baby
>
> First of all, let me explain what GnomeSelector is, what it does and
> why it's there.
>
> In gnome-libs 1.x there are widgets like GnomeEntry, GnomeFileEntry,
> GnomeIconEntry, GnomeIconSel etc. All of them share some common technology:
>
> - they store/manage a list of directories/files
> - they have an UI to let the user browse these lists etc.
> - they have history support
>
> If you look at the code of these widgets in gnome-libs 1.x, you'll see that
> there's a lot of similar code in all of them since they implement more or
> less the same technology.
>
> GnomeSelector is an abstract base class which provides all the common
> technology between these widgets. This means that for instance GnomeIconSelector
> inherits all of its functionality from GnomeFileSelector which itself inherits
> from GnomeSelector. The only thing which GnomeIconSelector needs to implement
> is its UI.
>
> GnomeSelector already uses GNOME-VFS and is fully asynchronous.

this is great!

> g) Bonobo integration
> ---------------------
>
> Well, basically I'm still waiting for Miguel to tell me how to do this ...

IMO, one way to do this could be to componentize the GNOME core, that
is, the window manager, the panel, the configuration stuff (background
image, menus, etc), and have gnome-libs provide
functions to access all this stuff.

> h) Other things which I'd like to have integrated in gnome-libs
>
> In the last few months, several cool and nice things have been developed
> in GNOME. We should have a look around at all these nice things and discuss
> whether we should move some of this stuff into gnome-libs. Especially in
> libnautilus and libnautilus-extensions there seems to be such stuff.
>
> For instance, what I'd like to see in libgnomeui is:
>
> - this nice icon list / icon canvas item stuff
> - maybe some stuff from gal

yes, I'd add to the list the shortcut bar in evolution, which is very nice

cheers