Re: Quo vadis, GNOME? (was: Getting Bugzilla support into Bug-buddy)

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 04:57:47AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> What part of the comments about the lack of maintainance on core things -

  What is missing there ? Maybe I'm just too disconnected but my understanding
is that the frozen libraries are in a stable state and people are fixing
stuff in head but not in the stable branch, is this the problem ? Or is
nobody working on head nor fixing bug in stable ?

> style guide,

  If there is one part where I think the presence of Ximian/Eazel/Sun
should improve things, it's this one. What is missing ? I certainly no
GUI expert,

> people other than Martin doing anything with bugs,

  I understand that Martin is doing the bug management, looking at registered
bugs and fixing them is of the responsability of the AUTHORS of modules, right ?
So what modules are not fixed, if there is specific problems lets expose
them, right ? But I may have misunderstood you, are you suggesting that
Martin get more help doing the bug management ?

> people not actually reading/working on/closing bugs that I have pointed
> out don't you count as reasons and why ?

  Okay sorry I don't have all the history in memory. Can you quantitize
the following:
    - the number of modules concerned, if the list is small give it
    - the amount of bugs
    - for how long they were not closed

  I take care of gnome-xml, I know I have 4 registered bugs left (+1
from Michael Meeks not listed in the DB). Some are there for nearly
one year. I don't close them because they are valid request. I didn't
handle them because they need a change of infrastructure or I could not
reproduce them, or they are part of my TODO.
  If the bugs you have pointed out are of this kind, well it may be
understandable to not have them fixed. But if they are real reproductible
bugs attaining some of the core modules, then yes there is an action to
be done at the foundation level. This can be as simple as a decision to
block any further release if the critical ones are not fixed. Is this
what you are asking ?
  If something need to be done to force some long-standing bugs to be fixed
then we can try to get the resources to have them fixed. And if a maintainer
don't do his job of cleaning up bugs in stable branch, we can put a
policy to find the resources in the corporate world to assign bug fixing
to a given person. It would be a shame if we had to do this, but that's
one of the opportunity of getting large and funded and we should have
no hesitation to make use of this lever if this is needed.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/