Re: the same page

Support for pentium desktops is not the only reason to improve performance/footprint.

I can think of a couple more right off.  for example:
1. Reducing performance/footprint of Gnome can even be an advantage on huge fast servers with lots of memory... if the server is supporting tons of X users running the Gnome Desktop simultaneously (I,m speaking of my own situation here) 2. Non-desktop users of Gnome. PDAs and the like will always lag the desktop in memory and processing power. Let's not leave them out.

   3. Some areas of Gnome have issues even on decent hardware.
Complaints about performance/footprint posted on Gnotices or somewhere are usually dismissed as useless flames by some BlackWindowIceMakerBox fan or something, but they really aren't trolls. Rude and misguided they may be, but they are actually Gnome users and usually Gnome supporters, believers in the Gnome cause. If they didn't love Gnome, then they wouldn't feel strongly enough to get all mad and passionate and stuff.
       If they were resigned to using KDE, they just wouldn't care.
So in other words we should improve areas where there is negative customer feedback.

4. Some people have this idea that there is no way to have a beautiful featurefull user
       environment and be crazyunix fast too.I don't necessarily agree.
Power+beauty+speed, the best of all worlds, its not an impossibility just a hard engineering problem waiting to be solved. What gets me excited is that Gnome, with the talent level and energy of the developers involved, probably has the best chance of anything out there of achieving this nirvana, and , I think they would get there easily when/if they actually turn their focus in that direction. /So all I'm saying is, while I believe it is important to support older desktops, even if all of the pentium desktops spontaneously dissapeared tommorow, there would still be some compelling
reasons to improve performance/footprint./

The dream of having the best of all worlds is kinda what this whole Linux thing is all about. And It's this dream that is driving new users this way every day. Gnome holds promise that
one day they will not be driven back away dissapointed.

Ok... waxing philosophic now, must be the Bass ale, better shut up now before I sound too corny :}