Re: the same page

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 12:57:05AM -0800, Seth Nickell offered:
> For example... I was recently talking with Telsa and Jeff Waugh, both of
> whom felt it was really important for GNOME to run on older
> pentium-class machines because that is a market that has been largely
> abandoned by Microsoft and hence an opportunity. They also care about
> various "people" in that class of users (such as non-profits). All else
> being equal I would love for this to be true too, but given a choice
> between a desktop that was a) more usable or b) had more useful features
> and a system that ran on older machines I would choose the first two
> over the third. Maybe the conflict isn't inherent, but its an example of
> the subtle ways we are on "different pages".

It's odd how this has come up now. Just a few days ago this would have made
sense to me, but then, for some reason, I started taking note of friends,
family, stores, non-tech businesses and the like. I was totally blown away by
the fact that slightly more than %50 of these users run "older" machines. In
fact I'm typing this on a family member's low-end P2. I think just the sheer
volume of these users speaks... err... well volumes. I really dig all the work
that has been done for users of Seth's mentioned A and B, especially since
I'm one of them. ;) But I really think there might be massive opertunities with
the lower end group.

just a thought,
tcurtis