Re: Yet another mailing list

[ Cc'ing gnome-hackers so other people can comment ]

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Owen Taylor">
>
> > Does it make sense to cut this finely, or should we have a
> > gnome-core-devel-list for all of gnome-core? (I basically think we should
> > have a general devel list for almost everything in the GNOME desktop, but
> > I got voted down on this last time I proposed that.)
>
> Given that we have a very well defined 'desktop release' now, it makes a lot
> of sense: http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/modules/
>
> If it promotes integration, UI discussion, etc., it's a good thing.
>
> [ Although squishing the number of lists would be useful. ]

OK, unless anybody objects, I'm going to create

 desktop-devel-list gnome org

Which will handle all discussion of development of the apps
that form the GNOME desktop, as opposed to applications.

So, the way I'd see it is that, the main GNOME development
lists are:

 gnome-libs-devel gnome org: development _on_ the gnome platform
  libraries

  [ Except for what discussion belongs on gtk-devel-list,
    gnome-components-list, etc ]

 desktop-devel-list gnome org: development _on_ the GNOME
  core desktop.

  [ Except for what discussion belongs on gnomecc-list,
    nautilus-list eazel com ]

 gnome-devel-list: Development of applications _with_ GNOME.

I'd like to actually see gnomecc-list folded into
desktop-devel-list, since I think we are already too splitty -
the gnome desktop isn't big enough to require lots
lists.

Regards,
                                        Owen