Re: Request for comments about Yelp (Helpbrowser)

lör 2001-12-08 klockan 03.56 skrev John Fleck:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:04:27AM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I was playing around with WindowsXP and tried out there Helpbrowser, it
> > was very nice indeed. They have the concept of a "Home" where you can
> > click on different topics which takes you to the contents-view.
> >
> > I'm thinking of implementing this in Yelp, with a Home-view that could
> > look something like:
> > http://people.codefactory.se/~micke/yelp/help-home.html
> >
> > Clicking on one of the links will take you to the contents-view:
> > http://people.codefactory.se/~micke/yelp/yelp-01.png
> >
> > What do you all think about this approach?
> >

> I like this idea.
>
> So when you click on, for example, "Core Desktop," would it
>
> a) go to a separate page with a list of Core Desktop entires, or
> b) pop open a submenu on this "page"?
>
> How are the categories chosen? They should be based on the
> ScrollKeeper standard document categories. (That looks like what
> you've done, but I want to make sure that is your plan.)

Yes, these are the toplevel and first sublevel in the the Scrollkeeper
tree.

> > The other thing I'd like to be discussed is what to do about man and
> > info? The problem is that some users don't know what man/info is, some
> > other users might want to browse only man or info, etc.
> >
> > I think there are three possible solutions:
> >
> > 1) Make them there own toplevel nodes: (as man in the help-home.html
> >    view). This is the easiest way (as done in Nautilus today).
> >
> > 2) Try to merge them into the rest of the documents (don't ask me how).
> >    This is probably hard to do in a good way. It is also (imho) bad
> >    because though people don't have to care about what 'man' is the
> >    documents will not be in the same style as the rest of the documents
> >    which might be confusing anyway.
> >
> > 3) Just don't show man/info and only show the documents that are in
> >    Scrollkeeper.
> >

> I'm tempted to say have 3 (no man/info) be the default but offer a
> preferences option allowing users to choose 1 (separate man/info
> headers) instead. I expect, however, that suggestion would be
> immediately slapped down by one of the members of the usability crew,
> shouting that we should just pick the best option and go with it
> rather than tarting things up with endlessly variable preferences.

I like that but as you say, the usability team might not, another
solution could be to do 3 and have a GConf setting for 1. Ie. no where
in the UI but for those that nows about it they can set it. I know that
Galeon has more settings than you can set in the UI.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/