Re: network transparency (Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core mmclouglin)
- From: Michael Meeks <michael peabody ximian com>
- To: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
- Cc: GNOME Hackers <gnome-hackers gnome org>, <gnome-components-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: network transparency (Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core mmclouglin)
- Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:42:49 -0500 (EST)
On 2 Dec 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> For many cases in GNOME so far, b) has turned out to be true. Networks
> crash. Networks have latency and function calls are no longer fast.
> Out-of-process components crash, get killed, etc. Asynchronicity
> achieved through re-entering the main loop results in fragile apps. It
> just don't work worth a damn.
Yada yada :-) many of these issues are substantialy addressed in
libbonoboui for Gnome 2.0; at least far, far more effectively, both from
a re-enterancy and cleanup points of view.
Currently the libbonoboui lifecycle re-write has been suspended
while I mightily strive to fix at-spi; but ... it'll get there.
mmeeks gnu org <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot
gnome-hackers mailing list
gnome-hackers gnome org
] [Thread Prev