Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core mmclouglin

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 16:29, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > > GNOME should aim to make it easier to develop networked client-server
> > > applications instead of relying on heavyweight RPC or remote display
> > > hacks. Support for SOAP and associated protocols is a step in the right
> > > direction.
> >
> > Well, there is soup, for applications that ought to use it, but I don't
> > think SOAP is a one-size-fits-all solution.
>
> I think the argument here is essentially about our equivalent to DCOM. Do we
> really want to use Bonobo like DCOM, or do we want to provide Bonobo
> interfaces to real, domain optimal, client-server protocols (and the heavily
> tested libraries that impliment them)?

while it is a good idea to have those interfaces to those libraries, the
point in having remote components is to have them totally network
transparent, that is, that I can just change a .oaf/.server file to
point a component on a remote machine, restart the application that uses
that components, and have it work exactly the same way as it does with a
local component.

Having to access those interfaces you say for the remote case would make
you code 2 methods for accessing the component in your applications,
which breaks the network transparence, and complicates things.

cheers