Re: character encoding in .desktop files

On 24Aug2001 05:46PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
> > How can we change .desktop files to use UTF-8 encoding? What encoding do they
> > currently use? What compatibility concerns will there be if we change the encoding
> > between GNOME 1 and GNOME 2?
>
> Check out the desktop file spec on freedesktop.org; they are currently
> in Legacy-Mixed encoding, should be in UTF-8. They can be changed one
> at a time.
>
> To convert, I would suggest:
>  - make sure the GNOME 2 .desktop code always saves in UTF-8
>  - load them using that code, which should convert to
>    UTF-8, then save them again

I think most of GNOME's .desktop files are now translated using
xml-i18n-tools, which means they should come out as proper UTF-8 as
long as all the .po files are converted to use UTF-8. I don't know
who's working on making sure .po files get converted. I can make
XML-i18n-tools try to add the Encoding field. Is that appropriate only
for .desktop files per se, or also for other files with the same
general format (.directory and .soundlist are the ones I see supported
currently)?

 - Maciej