Re: Why GNOME Hackers Should Care about Usability

> What's an example of a conflict between "great for engineers" and
> "great for home users"? I don't think there are very many, and the
> ones that exist are typically superficial, not fundamental aspects of
> the desktop.

A well designed desktop will please both. For example as an end user having
idiotproof firewall configuration is a blessing. The same tool to the
linux real user is a great way to get their firewall roughly right for
further editing

Similarly the biggest lacks in the general Linux UI are ones that will IMHO
benefit everyone. Its things like reminding you that stuff isnt set up.
For example mozilla bothers to take you to the mail configuration if you
try and send mail without configuring

Much of Gnome (paticularly once we talk about admin tools) needs to do the
same thing. If you run gnome-ppp and dont hav a firewall configured, it
would be nice if it asked you.

Good UI should not be getting in anyones way.

Alan