Re: Thinking about Dogfood

On 13 Aug 2001, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

> >  The better way for Ximian is to hire somebody really qualified as i18n
> > engineer while developing/polishing gnome aps. Consultations with i18n
> > engineer are a must even when the software's architecture is only being
> > designed/drafted.
>
>   I don't think there is anything in the *architecture* of Evolution
> that makes it unsuitable for I18N.  We use UTF-8 all over the place,
> which is pretty much as I18N-friendly as you can get.

 For example mail headers are parsed in sequence and independant of each
other. Such approach to parsing mail headers makes it impossible to properly
handle headers like Subject and From: when they are sent in raw form and
contain characters with 8th bit set. Versions of Evo including 0.12
substituted all characters with value > 127 in headers with underscore. But
such characters should be parsed using charset specified in Content-Type
header, but as Jefrey says, it's impossible to do so since all headers are
parsed in sequence and only one time. That's an example of improper
architecture aspect.
  As I said, Outlook express sends mail headers raw, so all non-latin1 users
are affected.

>   Most of the bugs are due to missing charset conversions and the fact
> that the 1.4 libraries (namely libxml, GTK+ and all the things that use
> them) are not very UTF-8 friendly.

 Yes, I agree with this.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad