Re: GNOME CVS: libgnome martin

On 09 Aug 2001 17:08:29 -0400, Gnome CVS User wrote:
> Log message:
> 2001-08-09  Martin Baulig  <baulig suse de>
>
> After a discussion with Michael and a release meeting, we
> decided to remove the sound again. It was really a bad idea.
>
> * gnome-sound.[ch]: Removed.
> * gnome-sound-csl.c: Removed.
> * gnome-sound-driver.[ch]: Removed.
> * gnome-triggers.[ch]: Removed.
> * test-sound.c: Removed.

It concerns me that we're removing sound support wholesale from GNOME 2,
as it is a noticeable step back in the platform. Judging from bug
reports and comments from our users, they do care about about sound.
Just yesterday, in fact, a user submitted a patch against Evolution
which allows a sound to be played when they receive new mail.

While moving sound out of libgnome makes sense, I feel it's important
that -some- sort of sound support is implemented for the GNOME 2.0
release in particular and the platform in general. I would contribute to
this, but I really know nothing about sound and the issues involved.

So, just to clarify: is the intention to remove sound support totally
from the initial GNOME 2.0 release and the platform and then add it at a
later point (to GNOME 2.2, perhaps)? If so, does anyone else feel this
is a problem? (Especially in light of the reverse in functionality for a
major step forward of the platform)

Joe