Re: URIs vs. half-baked URIs

On Friday, August 3, 2001, at 09:57  AM, Owen Taylor wrote:

A place like the URL line in Nautilus _needs_ to accept unencoded
'URLS'. If I call a directory 'Pictures+Icons', I should _not_ be
expected to type in:

 file://home/otaylor/Pictures%2bIcons

I think when the user types in an URL, you should escape anything
isn't valid for an URL.

Regards,
                                        Owen

(Harder question: should the URL line in Nautilus _unescape_ when
displaying the text? For some things the current escaped display is
basically unreadable; however, if you want to let people
cut-and-paste from the line, then unescaping might be evil.)

We considered this carefully during Nautilus development. Try out what we currently have and see if you like it.

    -- Darin