Re: adding interfaces to stable libraries

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> You are right, and I think the issue is important to address.  Should
> we have standard mechanism to keep track of this?

> Maybe we should change the configure tests in GDM as well?

I'm not sure of a great way to handle it. If every bugfix release does
this kind of thing, it's sort of unmanageable, that's the problem.

If we only add interfaces when we change large version numbers
(e.g. 1.2->1.4), that's one good idea. Also names such as
foo_experimental_ or foo_hack_ or whatever tend to alert people to a
possible problem.

And going through and e.g. making the whole platform check in
configure.in for the new version probably isn't a bad idea, even
before people use the new stuff. e.g. force GNOME 1.4 to explicitly
require a new version of the libs in the configure scripts.

Havoc