Re: http://widget.gnome.org:8484/gnome-news/

On Monday 30 April 2001 07:18 am, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Also, replacing the top bar with Kenny's much nicer d.g.o header would be
> > good; no more image map.
>
> <Sigh>. I guess I'll get jumped all over if I claim that my old header
> LOOKED considerably better than the replacement.  Even in
> Mozilla. But, in any case, I really think it would be a good idea if
> the replacement was fixed not to take up half the screen in Netscape.

*Sigh.*

Some reasons I did this:

(1) The page should load faster for people over slow modems, especially since
this is all just text anyhow...
(2) The pages shouuld be easier to use in text based web browsers, such as
lynx or links.
(3) The links look and behave like links on every other page, whereas in the
image map, they only look like grey text - no underlining, inconsistent
coloring, no changes when you hover over the link, or have visited it
already, or are clicking on it...

It will look nicer and more "professional" when we get antialiased text
rendering.

About the header taking up "half the screen" in Netscape - it only takes up a
few lines. I *thought* Netscape rendered this correctly when I committed
this, but after installing it, I see that it does not. I have tried to
correct this issue, but it appears that Netscape 4.x has a severely broken
box model which just can't handle my 100% valid stylesheet. I add margins
around text and it adds it around everything in the parent's box. Truly
bizarre.

If you really want me to revert, I can, I just wanted to explain my position
first. So far, I've talked to a few people, we seem to have four for the
changes, and three against. I strongly feel that images should be used only
for images, not text, but I have a change to revert it just waiting to be
committed if that is the decision. I admit that it does look worse without
decently antialiased text, but I feel we should be looking towards the
future...

--Kenny