Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

> I don't actually see the (protocol) problem here. Since there is
> no read-caching in the NFS protocol, upon notification from the

NFS has client read caching. Noncoherent client read caching.

> server, the notifee/NFS client can simply flush any cached data
> for the object and read new data from the server.

Not always. You may have dirty read/write pages that have not been committed
in NFSv3 for one. There is also the question about how you tell the NFS client
to flush things and what to flush.

What you can do fairly reliably is to take a lockf() on the file before reading
it and unlock it afterards. Most unixen implement the model that the lock is
a read/write barier so you can do sensible updates over NFS at a cost.

Alan