Re: Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

> > A five to ten second delay between mounting a volume and having an icon
> > representing the mount appear on the desktop
> > is simply unacceptable.
>
> well, it depends on how one is mounting the partition.

It taks at least 2 seconds for magicdev to do a CD mount. Twenty reads of the
file a second is ugly. Thats in the 'so run KDE' category in my book. Its
enough to prevent APM hitting anything but the most basic power saving, and
on a standard configuration because you open the file each time it will keep
the disk spinning.

At the very least you should stat the file and check for a ctime/mtime change
to have occurred - and you might as well do that once every 2 seconds. That
will avoid an atime update and a disk write.

> notification from the kernel would still be much better, if you know
> what i mean.

The kernel should not be involved. Fix the gnome mounting tools and mount to
provide notifications. Every mount is initiated in user space therefore the
kernel is the wrong place for this. System service != kernel.

Alan