Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

NAS is a dead loss.  Don't spend your time on it.

It is incapable of anything near real time, which we need for
games and teleconferencing.

Note that Raster, when looking for exisiting sound software, searched
the web for "Linux" stuff only, and therefore missed all prior UNIX
experience.
				- Jim

> Sender: gnome-private-members-admin gnome org
> From: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:55:39 +0100
> To: GNOME Hackers <gnome-hackers gnome org>
> Subject: Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?
> -----
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 04:55:16PM -0400 or thereabouts, Elliot Lee wrote:
> >
> > NAS was considered when looking for a sound daemon originally. I don't
> > remember the reasons why it wasn't chosen, but it probably deserves at
> > least a brief reevaluation now.
>
> Someone asked this at LCA in Sydney in January:
> http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Trips/Talks/lca-windup.html
>
>     Someone from the audience asked why "nas" wasn't
>     used, as it and esd were practically duplicates. Raster replied
>     that in 1997, nas didn't work on Linux. It had been faster for
>     him simply to write esd than it would have been to learn nas
>     and then make it work on Linux.
>
> I suppose I should go and capitalise this NAS thing now. I'd never
> heard of it then :)
>
> Telsa

Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development