Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

arts (and most other sound daemons I've seen) have latency problems, and
no good way to do out of order delivery of sound....

We got this right in AF: unfortunately, it has other problems (does not
handle sample rate conversion).  AF, on proper hardware, allowed updating
samples until the sample was played (anotherwords, had potentially 0 latency).

I had a nice conversation at GUADEC with the arts folks over this issue.

So right now, there ain't no such thing as a good sound daemon.

Sigh.
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys