Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

John Heard <John Heard Sun COM> writes:

> I would appreciate getting peoples views on where GNOME 2.x should be
> regarding its sound architecture. I am not trying to suggest that we
> should change the current GNOME 1.x sound, but more want to know what we
> collectively think is the right strategy/standard base that GNOME
> depends upon. I would like to be able to collectively develop a plan for
> enhancements etc which we agree we need to deliver as a part of GNOME 2.

Hi,

well, I talked about this with a few people at GUADEC and we basically
agreed to drop esound for GNOME 2 and use aRts / CSL instead.

Stefan Westerfeld from KDE is currently working on CSL which is a C API
for aRts (the KDE sound daemon / sound system) which does not use Qt and
KDE so that we can use it in GNOME.

The big advantage of this is getting a unified sound system between KDE
and GNOME, so that you can for instance have a KDE and a GNOME application
on your desktop and both of them are playing sound simultaneously.

There's also some discussion going on with the KDE folks to get an API
for CSL which is suitable for both projects.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)