Re: EEL vs. GAL

As I said before, we have only begun to do the work of splitting this
code out of Nautilus.  That continues to involve a lot of careful
unwinding of dependencies and other cruft that tends to creep into
projects.

We haven't even started doing the work of making some of our projects
use this new library, in particular Reef.  That means we really don't
know very precisely how its going to be used by that project.  We have
an idea but only doing the work will bring out the issues.

I've only just started to remove the Eazel services stuff from Nautilus
(because of popular demand!) so I cant say im 100% clear on what the
requirements are yet.  We'll have better idea in the neat future.

You are right that the location and contents of the library are
currently for the convenience of hackers working on Eazel projects.
However, we are carefully taking pieces of code apart to end up with
something that might be useful outside of Eazel projects.

Unfortunately it is not clear at all what would be useful by third
parties or not.  There are at least 20 good flame fests about some of
the content of Eel as it currently stands.  Some of the stuff is not
controversial at all, of course.  Some of the stuff, like the smooth
widget voodoo, is almost certainly not meant to be long term stuff,
since there is much better stuff on the horizon (xrender)

So for now, I don't know enough yet about the details of how such a
combination would occur.  Of course, in principle, I completely agree
with you about the reasons why combining the libraries or parts of them.

-re