Re: pkg-config comments

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> > I agree with James here - some central repository of .m4 files is
> > not the way to go.
>
> Me too.  Please, no more broken m4.  pkgconfig-based testing is simple
> enough that an .m4 macro adds very little value.
>
> And as Owen points out, it is rather inconvenient to get some wierd m4
> setups right.

I don't see what your point is.

Sure, a lot of the macros will go away with pkg-config, but not all of them,
we will still need some of them. So we just cannot remove the gnome-common
dependency if that's what you're worried about. Also I don't see how you will
want to do conditional GNOME 1.x / 2.x building without some good macros.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)