Re: pkg-config comments

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:
> 1.) Is there any reason why it doesn't install its pkg.m4 file ?

pkg.m4 doesn't work. ;-)

I just write this in configure.in:

    AC_MSG_CHECKING(GLib flags)
    GLIB_PKGS='glib-2.0 gobject-2.0 gmodule-2.0 gthread-2.0'
    if $PKG_CONFIG --exists $GLIB_PKGS; then
            GLIB_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags $GLIB_PKGS`
            GLIB_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs $GLIB_PKGS`
            AC_SUBST(GLIB_LIBS)
            AC_SUBST(GLIB_CFLAGS)

            AC_MSG_RESULT($GLIB_CFLAGS $GLIB_LIBS)
    else
            AC_MSG_ERROR([
    *** GLib not found. GLib is required to build Inti.
    ])
    fi

I think that's fine, and to me is more convenient than the macros
especially if you want to change any macro behavior, but if someone
who likes the macros wants to implement pkg.m4 that would be
fine. So far everyone but me likes the macros. ;-)

> 2.) Can you please add a command line option to print out its
>     version number so that I can check for a specific pkg-config
>     version in my configure.in ?

Sure that makes sense. I'll do it after Thanksgiving, except that I'll
probably forget - if you could file a bug or remind me, that would be
good.

BTW pkg-config doesn't work quite right with GTK 1.3.2 because I
removed includedir from the cflags to avoid clashing with GTK 1.2, but
Pango requires search of includedir, so if you install Pango to a
non-default prefix pkg-config won't output the flags to find
it. Long-term fix is that GTK 1.2.9 will move its headers into a
subdirectory of includedir.

(Owen, just noticing that Pango should probably go ahead and have its
headers in a subdirectory also so Pango 2.0 doesn't cause this
problem.)

Havoc