Re: global (MacOS Style) menubar applet [initial patch]

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> [this thread should be on gnome-hackers, which is the list for
> development of the main GNOME desktop environment such as gnome-core
> and gnome-libs]
>
> Hi,
>
> I think this is officially a really gross hack, piled on top of all
> the other really gross hacks in GnomeApp and friends. Anyhow...

I admit to that. The alternative is to serialize the menu structure,
send it to the applet via corba, and recontruct it. Since the menubar
now is just a GtkMenuBar, I think this would be very hard to do. On the
other hand, if GnomeApp's menu was set using XML or some highlevel
description, it might be a lot easier to do.

> If it goes in libgnomeui despite that, be sure not to use
> gnome-preferences.[hc] which are deprecated; gnome-libs HEAD should
> use GConf instead. This means the patch has to be able to handle
> dynamic changes to the "global menus" setting, i.e. if the setting
> changes at runtime you would pop all the menus back into apps or back
> out of apps, as appropriate.

Ok. This patch is actually to the stable version of gnome, I have had
trouble using the HEAD version previously. I'll try to get the patch
working on HEAD.

Mark