Re: The Future of Bug Buddy

Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth ireland sun com> writes:

> I guess the goal of a bugtracking system is to route bugs to the
> people who will fix them. Rather than distributing the knowledge
> of bugtracking systems and packages with each GNOME installation,
> how about using a single web-site as a gateway for bugs.
>
> I see two options to achieve this:
> 1. Store the file that maps modules -> packages -> bugtrackers on
>    a central GNOME-bugs web-site (with the possibility of caching
>    it in the GNOME tree) and have Bug Buddy use this dynamic
>    mapping file.
>
> 2. Have a mail or web service as a real gateway for bugs; the
>    mapping information is stored only at this central site and
>    it logs the bug and forwards it to the package's bugtracker.

Hi,

well, my idea for the new Bugzilla (I'll post a summary about its
current state this weekend) was to have exactly such a file.

Basically with Bugzilla we have a list of Products each of them
containing one or more Components.

A Product can either be a module in CVS, a tarball or some abstract
thing like `www.gnome.org' or even `User Interface'. My idea was to
have the maintainer of a product decide which components it contains.

We'll then have some XML file on bugzilla.gnome.org which lists all
available Products, their Components, Versions and maybe also some
additional information (such as for instance which binaries / libraries
a Component contains).

However, I think we may want to ship this file with bug-buddy as well
and have bug-buddy check whether the file on the server is newer or
something like this. This is just required to keep bug-buddy usable
without a network connection.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)