Re: platform compatibility policy

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> A useful definition:
>  Major version: 1.0, 2.0
>  Minor version: 1.0, 1.2, 1.4
>  Micro version: 1.2.5, 1.2.6
>
> So we are defining our versioning scheme implicitly to match changes
> in the devel platform. Major versions break bin/source compat.

I thought about it some more and I definitely don't like codifying
this release naming scheme. Version numbers are primarily marketing
entities, let's not start assuming they encode piles of useful info,
or we will look weird when we have to do what Sun did when they
switched from Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 7. Let's just declare which
releases are what level of platform release.

 - Maciej